This track emphasizes statistical theory and is especially recommended as preparation for graduate study in statistics.
These requirements were put into effect Fall 2017. Requirements from previous years can be found in the General Catalog Archive.
Preparatory Subject Matter (31-32 units)
- MAT 21A-B-C-D Calculus
- MAT 22A or 67 Linear Algebra
- MAT 25 Advanced Calculus
- Effective Summer 2018, MAT 25 will be discontinued; students may take MAT 127A instead.
- ECS 10 or ECS 30 or ECS 40 Programming
- Effective Fall 2018, ECS 10, 30, and 40 will be discontinued; students may take either ECS 32A or ECS 36A instead.
- Any one introductory statistics course except STA 10 (STA 32 recommended)
Depth Subject Matter (51-52 units)
- STA 106 Analysis of Variance
- STA 108 Regression Analysis
- STA 138 Analysis of Categorical Data
- STA 131A Intro to Probability Theory
- STA 131B Intro to Mathematical Statistics
- STA 131C Intro to Mathematical Statistics
- MAT 125A Real Analysis
- Effective Winter 2019, MAT 125A will be discontinued; students may take MAT 127B instead.
- MAT 108 Abstract Math or 125B Real Analysis
- Effective Spring 2019, MAT 125B will be discontinued; students may take MAT 127C instead.
- MAT 167 Applied Linear Algebra
3 courses from:
- STA 104 Nonparametric Statistics
- STA 135 Multivariate Data Analysis
- STA 137 Applied time Series Analysis
- STA 141A Fundamentals of Statistical Data Science (formerly called STA 141)
- STA 141B Data & Web Technologies for Data Analysis
or STA 141C Big Data & High Performance Statistical Computing
- STA 144 Sampling Theory of Surveys
- STA 145 Bayesian Statistical Inference
- STA 160 Practice in Statistical Data Science
- MAT 168 Optimization
- One approved course of 4 units from STA 199, 194HA, or 194HB may be used.
Related elective course:
One upper division course approved by major advisor; it should be in mathematics, computer science, or in quantitative aspects of a substantive discipline.
Total Units: 82-84
- MAT 21 A
- MAT 21B
- ECS XX
- MAT 21C
- Intro STA*
- MAT 21D
- MAT 022A or 67
- STA 108
- MAT 108**
- STA 106
- STA 131A
- MAT 25/127A
- STA 131B
- STA 1XX
- STA 131C
- Approved Elective
- STA 138
- MAT 167
- STA/MAT 1XX
- MAT 125A/127B
- STA 1XX
- MAT 125B/127C**
*Intro STA: Choose from STA 13, 32, or 100. STA 032 is strongly recommended.
**Choose 1 of: MAT 108 and 125B/127C