Frequently Asked Questions

Statistics Major and Minor 

  • How do I declare statistics as my major?/ How do I add statistics as my second major?
  • To declare statistics as your major you must complete an online Change of Major Form.  It is also strongly recommended that you have taken some of the preparatory courses prior to declaring.  

    Note For All Students: Students must be in good academic standing and have at least a 2.00 GPA in all courses taken for the major so far. Your change of major petition will be returned if these requirements are not met.  

    Note For Double Majors: At the time of submission, a substantial part of the preparatory subject matter in each major must have been successfully completed.  Please note that some departments have additional requirements to change/double major. Also, for each major, 80% of the upper-division units must be unique.  If the major programs differ in the number of upper division units required, the major program requiring the smaller number of units will be used to compute the minimum number of units that must be unique.   

    Please ensure you have also completed the following prior to your change of major form being submitted and reviewed: 
    1.  Create an Academic Plan in OASIS and submit it to "Statistics" for approval.  If you need help creating an academic plan, you can find out more about statistics advising on the department website.   Please also visit our major programs page for sample academic plans.   Students double/triple majoring are required to meet with a Statistics Advisor to create their academic plan.  
    2. Complete a Degree Worksheet for your intended major track.  Degree worksheets can be created in the “Degree Worksheets” tab in OASIS. 
    3. Note any courses that will overlap with your double major or minor (if applicable) in the "Comments (optional)" section of the Change of Major form. If no classes overlap and/or you are not double majoring/minoring write N/A or None. 

  • I am interested in the Applied Statistics option; how can I get courses approved for the non-statistics electives?
  • The department has some classes that are pre-approved to be used as electives. They can be found here for the BS and here for the AB. If you want to take a course this is not already on these lists please complete the major modification request form.
  • How do I petition for a modification to the statistics major course requirements?
  • You may petition to the faculty advisor for a modification to the major course requirements provided that you have a compelling reason.  To petition, please complete the major modification request form.
  • I am interested in the General Statistics track; how do I choose and get approval of an elective course?  
  • The department has some classes that are pre-approved to be used as electives. They can be found here. If you want to take a course this is not already on this list please complete the major modification request form
  • Can I take courses for my Statistics major P/NP?
  • Courses used for the Statistics major can be taken P/NP. If you are a double major and are planning to use a course to satisfy another requirement as well, please check if your other major and/or college has P/NP restrictions. In the College of Letters and Science they only have restrictions on how many units can be taken P/NP. You can find out more about their P/NP restrictions here. Please meet with an advisor before you make the decision to P/NP a major course. There are a number of things to consider when making this decision.
  • Can I take courses for my Statistics minor P/NP?
  • Courses used for the statistics minor can be taken P/NP.  Not all courses for the minor can be taken P/NP because you need a minimum 2.00 GPA in all of the classes used for the minor. You should also check your college and major requirements to make sure they have no restrictions on taking courses P/NP. 
  • How do I know if I have completed all the coursework required of my major and therefore I am eligible to receive my degree in Statistics?
  • You can view your remaining requirements on My Degree.  Please contact your statistics major advisors if you have any questions.  You can complete an unofficial check online using the Degree Worksheets on OASIS.  The degree worksheets should not replace seeking verification from the statistics staff advisors, the peer advisors, or the faculty advisors.  Check in about the completion of major requirements early and often. You can find out more about how to contact your advisors here
  • How do I know if I have met all graduation requirements for a Bachelor's degree?
  • To be eligible for graduation, an undergraduate student must meet all university, college, and major, and minor (if applicable) requirements. You can view your remaining requirements on My Degree. Please consult with both your major advisor and your Dean's Office advisors if you have any questions about your My Degree. Please note that My Degree should not replace consulting with your advisors.  

Courses and Registration

  • How do I receive a PTA number for my Statistics course?
  • Please view our department PTA Policy.
  • How do I know if a course at another institution is equivalent to a statistics course at UC Davis?
  • ASSIST is a comprehensive on-line course articulation system for most California community colleges with University of California. Search ASSIST to see if a lower-division course at a California community college is equivalent to a course at UC Davis. If you plan to take a statistics course at another UC campus, private institutions, or out-of-state institutions, please submit your equivalency request using this form. Your course information will be evaluated by faculty and you will be notified of the result via e-mail. 
  • How do I earn academic credits for special study, independent study, or internships in statistics?
  • Students who wish to enroll in STA 99X, 98, 99, 190X, 192, 194HA-194HB, 198, 199 must first identify and contact a faculty person whose academic expertise is related to their proposed project. If the faculty person agrees to sponsor the student’s research or special study project, the student and the faculty sponsor together fill out a Course Contract. The course contracts are agreements between faculty and students and serve as written verification of the faculty person’s consent to sponsor the student for academic unit credit. Completed contracts should then be submitted to the staff advisor.  Students wishing to receive internship credit (STA 192) for an internship opportunity off campus must complete the internship credit request form prior to the steps noted above. 

Opportunities & Post-Grad

  • I am considering graduate school in Statistics, which statistics program track should I choose?
  • The B.S. General Track is recommended if you plan to pursue a Ph.D. in Statistics.  This track combines the study of statistics and mathematics, which provides more advanced theoretical grounding for a Ph.D program in Statistics. The coursework in real analysis is particularly recommended. If you plan to pursue an M.S. in Statistics, the B.S. General Track, B.S. Computational Track, and B.S. Statistical Data Science Track all provide adequate preparation.  The B.S. Applied Track may also be sufficient depending on the focus of the program. 

    If your graduate school focus is in another field, the A.B. or any of the B.S.  tracks would be appropriate. Ultimately, it is important to do your own research in regards to the required preparation for the graduate program in which you are interested.  These recommendations are only general guidelines.  If you have an interest in graduate study in Statistics (Ph.D. or M.S.), you are encouraged to meet with the statistics faculty advisor to discuss your interests. You should also utilized the additional workshops and resources at the UC Davis Pre-Grad/Law Advising Office.
  • How can I find internship or employment opportunities?
  • The Internship and Career Center should be your first resource on campus. Register at their website to receive updates about job listings, upcoming career fairs, and recruitment fairs. You can also schedule an appointment to meet a career counselor to explore your career options. Broaden your internship and job search by focusing on the skills and qualifications the companies and organizations are looking for, rather than the specific job titles. The Department of Statistics website also has both Statistics Career Resources and Internship pages. You should also network with your peers and professors in the department - you would be surprised at the great insights you may gain from these relationships.
  • I am interested in becoming an actuary. Is there a degree in actuarial science at UC Davis?
  • At UC Davis, we don’t offer a program in actuarial science, but having an educational background in statistics, mathematics, or economics provides good preparation for the actuarial profession. Your curriculum should include calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics, computer science, and economics. For more information, please visit Preparing for an Actuarial Career While in College.  UC Davis has a student run Actuarial Science Association.  They are a wonderful resource for connecting to other students with similar interests.  They also hold regular exam prep courses for the P and FM exams and host several guest speaker events throughout the year.