Selective Major Requirements (Beginning Fall 2024)
Data Science is a selective major. This means that students applying for transfer admission must meet additional course and GPA requirements. All courses must be taken for a letter grade with no grade less than C. All course requirements must be completed by the end of spring term before fall enrollment. Learn more about the selective major requirements for Data Science on the Admissions Office website.
About Data Science
The Data Science major program offers a Bachelor of Science degree. The B.S. degree program has one track, the Foundations track.
Bachelor of Science
Emphasizes the underlying computer science, engineering, mathematics and statistics methodology and theory, and is especially recommended as preparation for graduate study in data science or related fields.
Upon completion of the Data Science program, students should be able to:
- Use results from computer science, mathematics and statistics to design data science tools consistent with methodology in these core fields;
- Formulate and use appropriate models to find solutions to data scientific problems in areas of applications;
- Analyze and interpret data using an ethically responsible approach;
- Effectively communicate the findings of a data analysis in oral, visual and written formats.
Pre & Post Matriculation Planning
In order to ensure that you are able to transfer to UC Davis with sufficient progress made towards your major, below is information regarding the courses you are recommended to take before transferring. Data Science is expected to be a two year plus two quarter program in order to ensure a balanced schedule. Most UC Davis transfer students come from California community colleges. You can find course articulations for California community colleges using assist.org.
PLEASE NOTE: These are only guidelines to help prepare yourself to transition to UC Davis with sufficient progress made towards your major. Admissions decisions are not handled by the Department of Statistics. Please check the Undergraduate Admissions website for information about admissions requirements and information about Selective Major Requirements.
Data Science, B.S.
Pre-Matriculation Course Recommendations:
- Coursework in Calculus
- UC Davis Courses MAT 21A, MAT 21B, and MAT 21C
- One Course in Linear Algebra
- UC Davis Course MAT 22A
- Coursework in Programming
- UC Davis Courses ECS 32A and 32B
- One Introductory Statistics Course
- UC Davis Course STA 13 or STA 35A
If the courses above are completed pre-matriculation, your major course schedule at UC Davis will be similar to the one below.